Comprehensive Care provides free education and support programmes for people with diabetes.
Diabetes Self Management Education groups
Diabetes Self Management Education (DSME) is a free course for people with type 2 diabetes. This course will teach you how to live well with diabetes through medication management, diet, exercise, avoiding complications from diabetes, and managing stress. We encourage you to bring a support person (for example, the person who does the most cooking in your house!).
Attend the course as either as three short evening sessions (Albany only) or as one full-day session. Courses are held at:
- Glen Eden
- Stanmore Bay
Weekend courses are held throughout the year. We also occasionally hold courses presented in other languages.
If you are unable to attend a group session, we may be able to provide one-on-one support from registered nurses and dietitians.
- Saturday 2 November (KOREAN LANGUAGE): 9.00am – 3.30pm, Albany
- Thursday 7 November: 9.00am-3.30pm, Stanmore Bay
- Mondays 11, 18, 25 November (short evening sessions): 6.00pm-8.30pm, Albany
- Thursday 14 November: 9.00am-3.30pm, Albany
- Thursday 21 November: 9.15am-3.30pm, Glen Eden
- Thursday 5 November: 9.00am-3.30pm, Albany
If you have diabetes, you need to pay attention to what you eat. If you live in the Waitemata DHB area and have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, you may find an appointment with a registered dietitian very helpful. We have clinics in Warkworth, Albany, Henderson, Birkdale and Kelston. Contact us on telephone 09 415 1091, or talk to your doctor or nurse about a referral.