Comprehensive Care provides free education and support programmes for people with diabetes.
Diabetes Self Management Education groups
Diabetes Self Management Education (DSME) is a free course for people with type 2 diabetes. This course will teach you how to live well with diabetes through medication management, diet, exercise, avoiding complications from diabetes, and managing stress. We encourage you to bring a support person (for example, the person who does the most cooking in your house!).
Attend the course as either as three short evening sessions (Albany only) or as one full-day session. Courses are held at:
- Glen Eden
- Stanmore Bay
Weekend courses are held throughout the year. We also occasionally hold courses presented in other languages.
If you are unable to attend a group session, we may be able to provide one-on-one support from registered nurses and dietitians.
- Saturday 25 July – Birkdale
- Thursday 30 July – Ranui
- Saturday 1 August – Albany, full-day
- Thursday 6 August – Stanmore Bay
- Saturday 22 august – Henderson
- Mondays 7, 1, 21 September – Albany evening sessions
- Thursday 10 September – Albany, full-day
- Thursday 17 September – Bayview
- Saturday 17 October – Orewa
- Tuesday 20 October – Hobsonville
- Saturday 31 October – Albany, full-day
- Saturday 7 November – Birkdale
- Saturday 21 November – Henderson
- Thursday 26 November – Albany, full-day
- Thursday 3 December – Stanmore Bay
If you have diabetes, you need to pay attention to what you eat. If you live in the Waitemata DHB area and have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, you may find an appointment with a registered dietitian very helpful. We have clinics in Warkworth, Albany, Henderson, Birkdale and Kelston. Contact us on telephone 09 415 1091, or talk to your doctor or nurse about a referral.