Comprehensive Care provides free education and support programmes for people with diabetes.
Diabetes Self Management Education groups
Diabetes Self Management Education (DSME) is a free course for people with type 2 diabetes. This course will teach you how to live well with diabetes through medication management, diet, exercise, avoiding complications from diabetes, and managing stress. We encourage you to bring a support person (for example, the person who does the most cooking in your house!).
Attend the course as either as three short evening sessions (Albany only) or as one full-day session. Courses are held at:
- Beach Haven
- Glen Eden
- Stanmore Bay
Weekend courses are held throughout the year. We also occasionally hold courses presented in other languages.
If you are unable to attend a group session, we may be able to provide one-on-one support from registered nurses and dietitians.
- Thursday 21st January – Ranui, full-day
- Saturday 23rd January – Orewa, full-day
- Thursday 11th February – Albany, full-day
- Saturday 13th February – Birkdale, full-day
- Saturday 27th February – Henderson, full-day
- Monday 8th, 15th, 22nd March – Albany, three-week evening course
- Thursday 11th March – Stanmore Bay, full-day
- Saturday 27th March – Henderson, full-day
- Saturday 10th April – Warkworth, full-day
- Thursday 15th April – Bayview, full-day
If you have diabetes, you need to pay attention to what you eat. If you live in the Waitemata DHB area and have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, you may find an appointment with a registered dietitian very helpful. We have clinics in Warkworth, Albany, Henderson, Birkdale and Kelston. Contact us on telephone 09 415 1091, or talk to your doctor or nurse about a referral.